Contemplative Sustainable Futures
Supporting funding organisation
The Swedish Research Council Formas & the Sustainable Urban Transformation Project (prolongation 2016-2019).
Christine Wamsler, Professor at Lund University Centre for Sustainability Studies (LUCSUS)
Humanity is facing increasingly complex environmental and sustainability challenges. Current coordination mechanisms, problem-solving strategies, and modes of scientific inquiry, teaching and learning appear insufficient to address these challenges. As a result, inner transition (embodied in notions such as mindfulness and compassion) is emerging as a potential new area of exploration. The “Contemplative Sustainable Futures Program” was set up to explore this new area and create space and opportunities for learning, networking and knowledge development on this topic. In this context, special attention is given to the issue of - what we call - 'mindful climate adaptation and risk reduction'.
Religious practices, spiritual practices, contemplative practices, other ways of knowing, inner transition, inner transformation, mindfulness, compassion, animism, ecopsychology, well-being.
The “Contemplative Sustainable Futures Program” consists of different building blocks and includes the creation of a scientific network and database. Please send an email to christine.wamsler [at] lucsus.lu.se if you would like to become part of this network (and related mailing lists) or would like to share relevant research, practice or teaching approaches.
- New academic publication: Wamsler C., Brossmann J., Hendersson H., Kristjansdottir R., McDonald C., Scarampi P. (2017) Mindfulness in sustainability science, practice and teaching. Sustainability Science. Open access.
- Forthcoming publication: Wamsler C., Brink, E. (2017) Mind the gap: The role of mindfulness in adapting to increasing risk and climate change (forthcoming).
- New popular science article titled "What is the link between sustainability and mindfulness?", published in Lund University Research Magazine Click here (for English version) or here (for Swedish version).
- New article in The Conversation titled "How mindfulness can help the shift towards a more sustainable society".
- New blog - Disaster Risk Reduction Voices by UNISDR and ProventionWeb: "How mindfulness can help the shift towards a more sustainable society" (re-published Conversation article by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction UNISDR).
- First mindfulness-sustainability framework: First framework for analysing the mindfulness-sustainability nexus. Click here.
- Learning lab: During 2015-2016 an experimental learning lab on mindfulness in sustainability science, practice and education was integrated into two Master’s level courses. The lab was developed and conducted in cooperation with the Student Health Centre and five LUMES students. See related information also here.
Association for Contemplative Mind in Higher Education (ACMHE)
Source: mindfullness.org, reproduced by kind
permission of stormthorgerson.com.