Sustainability Frontiers Conference
Welcome to an online conference for the sustainability community, to reflect on achievements and gaps, and to look forward to the next decade in the development of sustainability science.
Amid growing focus on sustainability and Agenda 2030, and on the pathway toward Stockholm+50, two leading Swedish centers, Lund University Centre for Sustainability Studies (LUCSUS) and Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) will co-host an online conference for the sustainability community, on the frontiers of sustainability science.
The conference will focus on five emerging topics for sustainability science and include an environmental justice/equity and governance perspective throughout all sessions. It will also be an opportunity to gather together research networks around new topics.
- Decolonising: How to develop sustainability science with a decolonising approach
- Resistance and social movements: How do resistance and social movements contribute towards action for/on sustainability?
- Degrowth: How does degrowth, post-growth and an agnostic approach on growth feature in sustainability?
- Digitalisation and sustainability transitions: How does digitalisation, disruptive technologies and AI contribute to sustainability science?
- Inner transformation and future imaginaries: How are inner transformations, imaginaries and futures providing opportunity for new insights and transformations, including the role of arts?
Frontiers of sustainability science
How do these strands fit with other perspectives on sustainability? What are the tensions? Where do we meet? How do we disrupt, develop and thrive in the field of sustainability science.
The conference has no fees, but registration is required.
The online conference is structured over two days (14-15 February 2022) with international keynote panel speakers, moderated discussions, breakout groups and discussion sessions.
All sessions will be open to unlimited people but participants will be required to sign up for the thematic breakout sessions. The conference will not include any paper presentations, but our aim is that the outcome will be a synthesis article focusing on guidance for global sustainability frontiers and a collection of insight papers on the frontier areas in Global Sustainability.
The conference will not be recorded. We invite you to a unique opportunity to participate live and discuss frontiers of sustainability.
The conference is led by two leading Swedish sustainability centers/institutes, Lund University Centre for Sustainability Studies (LUCSUS) and Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI).
SEI is an international non-profit research and policy organization that tackles environment and development challenges. SEI connect science and decision-making to develop solutions for a sustainable future for all.
Lund University Centre for Sustainability Studies (LUCSUS) is a sustainability centre for research, teaching and impact where researchers work to understand, explain, and catalyse social change and transformations in relation to material limits in the biosphere.